Tuesday, September 13, 2005

curtin carnival 2005 - 9/11

September 11th. Curtin Carnival day. This year's theme for the carnival was "Celebrate U!". It was chosen to mark the 3rd Anniversary of Curtin Sarawak's campus which was officially launched in Sept 2002. It is also to celebrate everyone who is a part of Curtin University.

Coupons were sold for RM10 each. Everyone was invited to participate be it staff, students, or members of the public. There was also a lucky draw and the grand prize was an Apple iPod Mini worth RM938! Hahaha. You can bet that everyone was eyeing that thing.

What went on? Well, there was the usual food stalls, game stalls, etc that were set up by the various clubs and societies in Curtin University to help them raise funds for their own organisations. There was also several stalls that were manned by the moral studies students especially to help raise funds which would then be donated to the Sunflower Centre, the Methodist Children Home as well as the Miri Blind Association.

Also, there were workshops like the Wireless LAN Workshop which was just to help introduce everyone to wireless LAN as well as how to set up a simple wireless LAN network in your home. ;) There was also the Effective Googling Workshop where people can learn how to use the Google Search Engine more effectively.

There was also some Karaoke Singing which didn't go very well. Haha. But that didn't matter. The most happening event though was the Curtin Music Fest which was organised by the Curtin Music Society.

Anyways, first off, the opening ceremony. It was just like any other opening ceremony. It started at 9am with the traditional dancers and then there were the speeches given by Benet Leong, our Student Council president, and then another speech from Professor Ruth Marquis, the Dean of Curtin Sarawak. After that was the Hey Mama dance. Then there was the official launching of the carnival. =)


Some of our traditional dancers. Gorgeous, no?


The traditional dance.


Hey Mama!


The official launching of the carnival by our dean, and our student council president.

After that, our boys danced the Janet Jackson Song with the traditional dancers. A mix of modern and ethnic dance. You know what, I actually love the traditional dance. Haha! Seriously. Although it may be so common. But before this, I've never been able to appreciate the dance properly. Cos watching them practice and all that, I managed to see how it's such an odd mixture of both aggresiveness and grace.


The Janet Jackson Boys.


The girls dancing the ethnic bit.

After that, there was a performance from one of Curtin's bands, Promise Ruin, who performed Pretty Woman. Hehehe. Which they did very very well. And that guy singing, he's one of the lecturers for Engineering Mathematics and his voice is very very very good. It seems so effortless for him to sing. Haha. And his name is Rueben. Hmmm... I have a feeling that he's actually my friend's older bro who used to study in Curtin before. And maybe still. So what's he doing playing lecturer, eh? Anyways, that performance was just one of more to come.. after all, they had to save their stuff for the Curtin Music Fest later, no? Then after Promise Ruin were done with their song, the Curtin Dance Club performed a little modern dance for us. And you know when they say modern it means some seriously sexy sh*t. Hahahahaha. At least it got all the guys drooling.


Promise Ruin doing "Pretty Woman"


The modern dance from the Curtin Dance Club.

So after that, went about the place.. jalanĀ², checking out the stalls. Curtin students are seriously lika a bunch of hagglers. Most of the stalls I passed had people going like, "Come come! Buy some stuff here. Support us lahhhh!!" and stuff like that. Hehe. Then there are the ones that actually know me, "Ah! Kim!! Come come! Support us! Buy some stuff! C'mon lah! It's good you know?! Help raise funds for charity mah!!! C'mon! 30 ringgit ONLY!!" Hahaha. Okay, that was me trying to be Joel who was trying to get me to buy some baskets which the Miri Blind Association had made. But I couldn't help lah.. I didn't have that much money with me. Then there were stalls where when I walked by, they would shout, "KIMBERLEY!!!!" and when I turned around to glare at them, they would look away innocently, like, look up at the ceiling lah, go pretend to look at the clouds and point at the sky lahhhh... and then when I would turn back around to go off again, they would start, "KIMBERLEYYYYYYYYY!!!!" Alamak. So embarrasing eh. Haha. But still, not as embarrasing as me dancing the Hey Mama? :P

Bought some food just for the sake of using my coupons. Haven't had any appetite for the past few days. So.. yeah.. just bought some food and shared them with Izuan. Haha. Went around the stalls several times. Why? Because everytime I would've made one round, someone would ask me to accompany them. So yeah, I did. Heheh. Good exercise bah, no? But then by the end of it, my legs were oh-so-tired and aching.

Oh yeah.. someone also dedicated some chocolate to me. Lol. So I had to go pick them up from the CSS (Catholic Students Society) booth. Actually, they sent me an sms, saying that someone has sent me a dedication and to go pick it up from their booth at the cafeteria on Sunday. Then on Sunday, uh-oh.. *looks around at all the booths* Which booth???? Found it in the end. Wow. Got Hersley and Ferero Roche chocolate. Yummy. Who is that someone? Haha! Thanks, Eddy! Silly boy. He only just sent me those chocolates so that I would unblock him in MSN. Sorry, Eddy, it's just that you were annoying me too much. So I had no choice. Hahaha. And sorry people, nothing romantic, ya. Hahaha.


Me and my little bag of chocolates. Sempat gik posing for Mimin's camera while just walking by. Hahaha.

Anyways, 12pm!! Time for the Curtin Music Fest. Hahaha. (I laugh too much, I know) Time for me to MC along with Wisdom a.k.a. Wizzy. Oh, I'm glad I got him to be my partner for the MC'ing. Or else I would've bombed. You can ask anyone how badly I did. =( Anyways, there would be 5 bands playing. Each playing at least 5 songs each. Hehehe. The bands that were there were Innumerable Judgement, Ravera Hill, Last Minute to Climax, 7th Day Tragedy, and Promise Ruin. No doubt that all their names are all so very keng eh but we'll see if they manage to live up to their name, yea?


The MCs for the Music Fest - Wizzy Gee and Me. Hehehe.

And so started the Curtin Music Fest. I'm gonna try write out all the songs each band performed. But my memory isn't too good. So just bear with me if I missed out on some or get them mixed up.


--------------------


Innumerable Judgement



Innumerable Judgement


Innumerable Judgement feat. Desmond


Songs performed:
  • Linkin Park - In The End (w/ Desmond)
  • Hoobastank - The Reason
  • Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
  • Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (feat. Desmond)
With Don and Gary on guitars, Gaston on bass guitar, Kenneth a.k.a. JJ on the drums, and Desmond and Eric (also on keyboards) on vocals, there was no chance of them going wrong. And yes, they did simply amazing! They set the bar way up high, challenging the other bands to try beat them. Muahaha.


---------


Ravera Hill



Ravera Hill


Songs performed:
  • Yellowcard - Only One
  • Hoobastank - The Reason
  • Peter Pan - Mungkin Nanti
Seriously, no comment.


----------


Last Minute To Climax



Last Minute To Climax


Songs performed:
  • My Chemical Romance - Helena
  • Senses Fail - (Damn, I can't remember)
  • Green Day - Hitchin' A Ride
They were alright-lah! Lead singer's voice couldn't be heard.. but it seemed that the bassist had a better voice. *shrugs*


---------


7th Day Tragedy



7th Day Tragedy


Allan Trez? Is he that Allan? I was looking at him a lot during their performance. Not because I liked him or anything, just that he frustrated me so. Just cos I couldn't figure out who he was! Mimin lah.. didn't remind me he was one of our old friends. Duh.


Songs performed:
  • Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River
  • Green Day - Redundant
  • Under Pressure
  • Weezer - Beverly Hills
  • Jimmy Eat World - Authority Song
Apparantly one of the top 5 bands in Miri. Was one of the top 5 during the battle of the bands. Which meant that probably not a lot of bands showed up cos uh.. not that they sucked exactly.. just that, they didn't come off as being one of the top 5. Oh well. What a let down.


----------


Promise Ruin



Promise Ruin


Songs performed:
  • The Beatles - She Loves You
  • Green Day - When I Come Around
Thank gawd for them! Really. Hahaha. They made the whole music fest look like a wonderfully deliciously sandwich with bad filling. Very deceiving. Cos to me, that was what it was. It started off with a great big bang thanks to Innumerable Judgement and then there were the bad fillings - Ravera Hill, Last Minute To Climax, 7th Day Tragedy - but luckily Promise Ruin was there to redeem the whole event. Rueben, f a n t a s t i c voice! Made every note seem so effortless. Ernest, Felix, and Don (also in Innumerable Judgement) on guitars, damn! And uh.. (I'll put his name in later once I remember it. I can never remember this name!! Probably cos I'm too used to calling him Monkey Boy back in Secondary School. Teehee.) Percival a.k.a. CBel on drums!


--------------------


Please keep in mind that I do not remember all the songs performed. So I left them out. And there may be some that I mixed up with the other bands. Hee! It's okay.

And that was it for the Curtin Music Fest. 2 hours filled with screaming guitars, crashing cymbals, more screaming singers. Felt very deaf after that.

Pretty soon, it was 3pm! Time for the lucky draw. The moment everyone was waiting for. But before all that, we all had to perform our dances again. On Abel's request. Haha. Scary man! Cos you could see one everyone's faces.. how much they wished we would get it over with and get on with the lucky draw. I swear, I was so scared they were gonna start rioting and start stampeding or something. *sobs*

Luckily though, they didn't. Haha. They gave away three Curtin Carnival t-shirts, four huge hampers, and last but not least, one iPod mini. Some guy won it. Not me. Too bad for me. Heheheh.

No hard feelings. None from me anyway. I got my Shuffle and that's good enough. Hehe.

Uh.. end.

Oh ya, almost forgot. Much thanks to Mimin for the pics. Hehehe!

Now... the end. ;)

9 Comments:

Blogger me_yasmin said...

kiiiimmiiii!! u stole my pics!!! :(

p/s not my fault tht u didnt remember Allan's name lah! i thought u'd remember him!!

p/p/s 'monkey boy' is Percival, AKA Cibel

10:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

walau eh.. so fast you read my blog???

Alaaaahhh... I was just about to edit the entry and add a thank you note to you for the pics just when your comment arrived.

coincidence? heheheh..

mimin, i never thought you were such a avid fan of my blog. lol.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Zack_Tiang said...

Hmm... guess it was good that I went for that Google Workshop and missed 7th Day Tragedy and Last Minute To Climax, huh?

anyway.. The Google Workshop was al right..
Mr. Johannes was a fun fellow.
Wish he'd be my lecturer next time...

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mama eh???? wakaka!!!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

zack: nah.. they were OK. just not great. yeah, mr. johannes is damn cool. even before i went to curtin i already thought so. he's cute lahhhhh.. so round and with such a funny voice. kekeke.

jawing: yes, hey mama. ~_~ you got a problem??! hahahaa.. alaa.. malu lah dance that. cos i can't shake... uh. yeah. hahahahaha.

1:51 PM  
Blogger me_yasmin said...

heh heh. thanks for crediting me!

and it was just a coincidence that i read your entry when it was just posted like, a few seconds before, ok?

i like your blog, but it's not like i read it and then keep refreshing it until a new entry appears, know wht i mean? :P

3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm waiting for more Curtin Carnival pics :p

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

mimin: just admit it lah. no need to be shy about being a fan. muahaha.

roger: more ah? sorry la, boy. (don't i sound just like tiang?) even all those pics i used in this entry were all taken from other ppl. huahuahua.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Zack_Tiang said...

I don't say 'Sorry la, boy'!

I only say 'Sorry la'!

Hmph! *pout*

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home